Employee Spotlight: Mike Lenz, Sr. Marketing Manager
Our mission at Instawork is to create economic opportunities for local businesses and professionals, globally. In order to achieve that mission, we have built a team composed of talented and hard-working individuals who are passionate about connecting skilled hourly professionals with local businesses who need their services.
How to earn more this holiday season in Kansas City
The holidays are a time to eat, drink, and be merry. It’s when you cozy up by a fireplace with a glass of chilled eggnog. Hop on a plane to see family in other parts of the country. Exchange heartfelt gifts with the ones you love to show them how much you care.
How Kansas City's labor market took a surprising turn
The Kansas City metropolitan area has been one of the strongest labor markets in the country for more than a decade. So it was puzzling when the unemployment rate started to rise in early 2021 while the nation as a whole saw joblessness fall. What happened next was the sort of experiment economists dream about.
The surprising relationship between education and flexible work
- Instawork Pros are more highly educated than the overall pool of hourly workers
- As in the labor market at large, higher educational attainment is associated with higher hourly pay
- Better educated workers also receive better ratings in our reputation system, confirming the value of education for in-person, hourly, flexible work
Monthly Labor Market Report - September 2022
Every day, the Instawork platform handles thousands of transactions involving businesses and hourly professionals, generating a huge amount of data on hourly pay as well as other aspects of the labor market. This report summarizes some of the major trends in demographics, roles, and worker constraints in regions across the United States.
These industries are creating the most jobs in Detroit
Recent changes in the Detroit area's labor market have been among the most dramatic in the United States. Once a case study in post-industrial decline and urban decay, the region has been revitalized by a tech-driven renaissance. Big companies like Apple and Amazon have been investing in the area, sensing the potential for a tech nexus with much lower costs than Silicon Valley.
What happens to pay during the holidays?
- Hourly pay for flexible work in service-related industries may rise during the fall if the economy reverts to pre-pandemic trends
- Businesses with higher demand for work on the actual holidays are likely to see large spikes in pay in their labor markets
- Other businesses can expect stable pay throughout the fourth quarter unless another wave of the pandemic disrupts labor supply
ECEC Release Briefing: Business Costs September 2022
- Business costs rose most quickly between June and September for ancillary roles in the service sector
- Increases in costs were down to around 1% for many hospitality roles after spikes in the spring
- Hourly labor costs in the industrial sector held steady