The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which allows nearly 800,000 Dreamers to work and attend school without the fear of deportation, is at risk of coming to an end. The hospitality industry relies on the indispensable contributions of immigrants and Dreamers. Instawork backs up DACA and urges others to speak up to protect this vital program.
We have two Dreamers who are a part of the Instawork family. According to a survey sent out to Instawork users, 35% said they are beneficiaries of DACA. These Dreamers are business owners, chefs, servers, bartenders, cooks and dishwashers. They are the people who have shared their culture, cuisine and traditions to create the colorful restaurant scene that we know and love. And above all, they are our friends and neighbors who deserve the same basic opportunities as the rest of the hardworking people who live in this country.
We believe in celebrating diversity and we refuse to go backwards. Instawork is committed to standing by our employees, users and the rest of the 780,000 Dreamers.
In the meantime, here’s what you need to know:
- DACA is still in effect until March 5, 2018
- DO NOT PANIC.
- Anyone that has DACA and is outside of the United States with ADVANCE PAROLE (travel permit) should RETURN RIGHT NOW.
- Carry a COPY of your WORK PERMIT everywhere you go.
- Memorize your “A Number” AKA “USCIS Number”, located on your work permit.
- For case-by-case questions, speak to a lawyer or BIA accredited representative. Don’t fall victim to fraud or scams from notarios and other fraudulent businesses.
- Your employer can’t fire you, put you on leave, nor ask about your DACA status.
- The social security number that you received with DACA is valid for life, memorize your SSN.
- Check your state’s laws about ID’s and driver’s licenses.
- Makes copies of your State ID’s, Driver’s License and Passport.
- Know your rights! Instawork’s legal workshop will go over what you need to know.
- Fight Back!